1-day fund-raising workshop in Christchurch
Sunday 26th March 2017, 10am – 3.30pm
Tutors: Ali Brown and Toby Brown
Venue: yet to be decided
In these workshops you can learn to weave a small basket, kete, or small box, or a large container using traditional weaving techniques. For more experienced weavers extend your skills to weave other types of baskets including a netted basket.
I supply some tools, coffee and tea. Some books on flax weaving are available to browse through and my own books are available to purchase. The price for a 1-day workshop is $75 per person.
To secure your place in this workshop
Bring 20 long, clean and healthy flax leaves from Phormium tenax flax bushes. Coloured leaves are also attractive for flowers. Instructions for gathering the flax leaves are here.
Bring your own lunch and a cushion to sit on, paper and pen to take notes and some cash if you'd like to purchase my books.
Examples of some of the workshops I’ve run
in Christchurch and elsewhere
Charity workshop at Sefton Hall
This workshop was held to raise funds for my 92 year-old stepmother's only grand-daughter, who has just experienced a deep personal loss, to return to New Zealand from the UK and spend some time with her grandmother. We raised over $1,000.
Examples of other workshops I’ve held:
• 2-day workshop for children at Camp Quality 2015
• Weekend workshop on Waikawa Marae 2012
• 2-day workshop in Hanmer for the Amuri Autumn School
• 2 short presentations on flax basket-weaving for the 2012 Creative Fibre Festival
• 1-day workshops in Waikuku for Waikuku Artists Inc
• A series of workshops in Norfolk Island for the Norfolk Island Community Arts Society
• 2-day workshop in Methven for the Methven Summer School
• 2-day workshop in Mount Somers at the Minerals to Art Festival
• 2-day workshop in Queenstown for the Queenstown Art Society
• 2-day weekend workshops in the Christchurch Arts Centre
• A team-building workshop for an insurance company
• 1-day workshop for a Floral Art Group
• A series of creativity workshops in a primary school for an art/craft module
• Short workshops in the Christchurch City Council’s Kidsfest holiday programmes
• Children’s workshops in holiday programmes for OSCAR and primary schools
• A co-operative flax weaving project for the delegates at the national OSCAR conference
In addition to running workshops, I have also occasionally given talks and demonstrations to various groups. Thoughts and notes on some of my previous workshops/talks/demonstrations can be found in the Workshops category of my blog.