Flax weaving workshops
1/2-day flax weaving workshops in Christchurch
Weave a two-cornered basket / kete Friday 5th May 2017
Weave a large container Friday 19th May 2017
Make flax cordage Friday 2nd June 2017
These workshops are raising funds to assist Cantabrians into employment. Learn how to weave flax and donate to charity at the same time!
478 Barrington St, Addington, Christchurch. There is parking on the road or in the sports park just past the venue. Look for the signs for Catapult Employment Service offices just around the corner from Lincoln Rd.
In these workshops you will learn to weave:
5th May, 1 pm to 4 pm, (7 places available): A small 2-cornered basket, or kete using traditional weaving techniques, like the smaller baskets in the front of the second image on this page. This is a versatile basic technique to learn which can be used for a number of different projects.
19th May, 1 pm to 4 pm: A large container using a different weaving technique that uses the whole flax leaf.
2nd June, 1 pm to 4 pm: Different types of cordage that can be used for basket handles, ropes, garden ties and any of the other multitude of uses for a piece of rope!
I supply some tools and my own books are available to purchase. The price for these half-day workshops is $40 per person per half-day workshop. You can choose to come to all of the workshops or just some.
To secure your place in each workshop, please direct credit $40 per person per half-day workshop into bank account Westpac 03-0674-0029969-00 and email me with your name and contact details and the workshops you are booking for. I'll confirm your place on receipt of the payment. Contact me by email or phone if you have any queries.
Bring paper and pen to take notes and some cash if you'd like to purchase my books.
Examples of some of the workshops I’ve run
in Christchurch and elsewhere
Charity workshops at Belfast Community Network Hall raising funds for Catapult Employment Services Trust
Charity workshop at Sefton Hall
This workshop was held to raise funds for my 92 year-old stepmother's only grand-daughter, who has just experienced a deep personal loss, to return to New Zealand from the UK and spend some time with her grandmother. We raised over $1,000.
Examples of other workshops I’ve held:
• 2-day workshop for children at Camp Quality 2015
• Weekend workshop on Waikawa Marae 2012
• 2-day workshop in Hanmer for the Amuri Autumn School
• 2 short presentations on flax basket-weaving for the 2012 Creative Fibre Festival
• 1-day workshops in Waikuku for Waikuku Artists Inc
• A series of workshops in Norfolk Island for the Norfolk Island Community Arts Society
• 2-day workshop in Methven for the Methven Summer School
• 2-day workshop in Mount Somers at the Minerals to Art Festival
• 2-day workshop in Queenstown for the Queenstown Art Society
• 2-day weekend workshops in the Christchurch Arts Centre
• A team-building workshop for an insurance company
• 1-day workshop for a Floral Art Group
• A series of creativity workshops in a primary school for an art/craft module
• Short workshops in the Christchurch City Council’s Kidsfest holiday programmes
• Children’s workshops in holiday programmes for OSCAR and primary schools
• A co-operative flax weaving project for the delegates at the national OSCAR conference
In addition to running workshops, I have also occasionally given talks and demonstrations to various groups. Thoughts and notes on some of my previous workshops/talks/demonstrations can be found in the Workshops category of my blog.